Sunday, December 11, 2011

Beginnings and Endings

Someone much smarter than me once said that all good things must come to an end. At the beginning of 2012 I will be marking the end of my graduate studies with a thesis show. I've decided to call it Consuming Decay, and below I'm supplying a sneak peak of some of the new things I've made.
















The images to follow are the last prints that I made. In fact, I pulled my final few just this past week. Each of them is created by allowing strawberries to draw themselves. I applied soft-ground to twelve plates and smashed various parts of dissected strawberries into them over the course several weeks. During this time period the strawberries were allowed to decay, which changed their consistency and shape allowing them to make a wide variety of marks. Each of these plates was then reassembled in different colors ranging from three to twelve plate combinations. This process resulted in some really interesting abstract prints, which is a serious visual departure from the work I've done over the past few years. I'm extremely happy with the results, and I hope you'll make it out to the show to see them in person. These digital reproductions really don't do them justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment